JellyPages.com

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Sad News **Important, please read**

The point of this post is to bring some awareness to the movement of no texting and driving. We rarely text and drive, but all too often are reading e-mails or distracted other ways by our cell phone. The Hendricks house is making a commitment to no longer read or type while in the the car (even if we're at a red light). We are taking it a step further and committing to no longer using our cell phones in the car unless we have the ability to speak hands free or pull over to make a call.
Remember the days before cell phones? I do, and I hear stories like the one below and I am reminded that my text, call, or e-mail isn't an emergency, and if I feel it is important enough to call or text at that moment, it is worth pulling off the road to address.

We hope you will join us in making a commitment to not text and drive, and please share your commitment and challenge others via your own blog, facebook, e-mail, etc.

This past weekend we were in San Diego visiting our dear friends the Mumfords who also happened to be there on vacation. They had a 15 year old neighbor boy dog sitting for them while they were away. The boy had taken Ellie, their dog out for a walk and a driver (grown adult) swerved off the road up on the curb because he was texting and driving. Luckily the 15 year old was not hit; he could have been hurt badly and possibly killed. Unfortunately Ellie was hit, and did not make it. We're sorry for the Mumford's and their loss. Ellie was a great dog and our family looks at her as a hero, she saved that 15 year old. This was a quiet neighborhood, slow speeds, well lit, and still someone texting and driving lost control of their car and endangered the lives of others.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE do not text and drive; and if you can bare it - challenge yourself to use your cell phone while driving only for emergencies or purchase a hands free device for your car/phone.

3 comments:

  1. It's sad to hear what happened to Ellie, but I like you will not text while I'm driving. I feel our lives are more precious than responding to someone's text.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh. What a heart breaker of a story. That just makes me sick inside to think of the Mumford's losing their dog and what could have so easily happened to that boy. My goodness.

    Well, I hate to admit it, but I talk on the phone and text while driving all the time. I do it, despite the fact that, I know it's a huge risk. And for what? It really is a ridiculous gamble to make.

    I took a few minutes to think about it because I wanted to be sure I was willing to make the commitment before I said I would. And I've decided that I will. I will join you. Thank you for sharing this. It's one of those things I know I shouldn't be doing, but you really never think it'll happen to you. That's not a wise, adult or realistic viewpoint to take. So, I'm in! I'm going to do this. For Ellie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to clarify. I'm committing to no texting while driving. I'm not saying no to talking though. But the texting has got to go! Thanks for the inspiration, Barb!

    ReplyDelete